- Redbird Weekend RecapPosted 10 days ago
- The NHL Conference Finals Have BegunPosted 18 days ago
- The NBA’s Best Are Ruining The GamePosted 21 days ago
- Cardinals Prospect Michael Wacha to Start ThursdayPosted 23 days ago
- Rutgers Can’t Seem To Get It RightPosted 23 days ago
- Urlacher Calls It A CareerPosted 29 days ago
- Why not Wacha?Posted 29 days ago
- Wiggins Commits to KansasPosted 37 days ago
- Back to BasicsPosted 37 days ago
- Jets Need to Cut SanchezPosted 38 days ago
DIRTalert: Minnesota Twins
- Updated: May 14, 2011
Fans in Minnesota do not have much to be proud of when it comes to their baseball team. The Twins are in the midst of their second, that’s right, second six game losing streak in the last 15 days. The 3-12 record in the last 15 games puts the Twins in last place in the AL Central, 11.5 games behind the surprising Cleveland Indians despite Francisco Liriano’s no-hitter on May 3rd. Joe Mauer is on the DL, Joe Nathan has a 7.43 ERA, and the Twins are dead last in many stat categories in the MLB, including posting the worst record in baseball to date at 12-24. One bright spot on the team is OF Jason Kubel who has 4 HR, 20 RBI, and a .344 batting average. Despite Kubel’s efforts, the Twins rank 30th in the MLB in runs scored, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage. The Twins have a major league works -76 run differential, 31 worse than the next closest team.
Despite having the worst record in baseball the Twins are in the top 5 in one stat category, thanks to their fans. Average attendance of 38,500 per game has the Twins near the top of the league ahead of the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers and Cubs. Target Field has a capacity of 39,500, so the fans are packing the stands night after night, hoping to see a good baseball team take the field. It has yet to happen this year in Minnesota, where the team only has 4 wins. These loyal fans deserve to see some good baseball played by their home team. It’s up to you, Ron Gardenheier, to get your players motivated, and it’s up to the players to play with pride and give 100% every day. Give the fans something to cheer about. It’s still early in the season, step up your game and at least be competitive. Minnesota Twins, you’ve just been served with theDIRTalert!
Written by Matt Dirty
Photo Courtesy of John McNab